Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 MCI BBQ DO — May 3rd-5th

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
2024 MCI BBQ DO — May 3rd-5th

I’m happy to announce the return of the MCI BBQ DO! This year the dates are May 3rd-5th (Friday-Sunday). Rather than overloading on BBQ (we made a total of three stops on Saturday last year, I thought we could do a low key morning with the option to craft your own visit if you so desire.

Friday - 5/3

Happy Hour - 4:5:30pm. (Casual Animal Brewing; KCMO)

Like usual, we’re going to gather for dinner Friday evening at 6:00pm at Char Bar which is located in the Westport neighborhood. Char Bar is a southern inspired BBQ joint and has a great space with a nice outdoor entertainment area as well as a full bar and decent indoor space. The menu is located here.

Saturday - 5/4

11:30am — A bit different than before — we’ll start with Chef J BBQ which is located in the West Bottoms and is a very short ride from downtown KC. This is a BBQ joint which is a relative newcomer to the scene but which has quickly established itself as one of the top expressions of culinary barbecue excellence in a city already known for its barbecue heritage. Inspired by regional styles ranging from Texas to Tennessee and beyond and closing when the food is #soldout, this is a must-stop on any barbecue itinerary.

1:00pm — While Kansas City is well known for BBQ, we've also got a number of wonderful breweries and distilleries! For those interested, we'll venture over to J. Rieger & Co. which has been around since 1887 in various forms. They described themselves as the "largest mail-order whiskey house in the United States prior to the onset of federal Prohibition in 1920". J. Rieger offers a couple different tasting tours, both of which come with four whiskey tastings and a good historical overview of the distillery then and now.

Post Chef J/J. Rieger for those not wishing to partake — Betty Rae’s Ice Cream is located north of KC in the River Market and is right off the Street Car line. They’ve been around since 2015 and offer twenty-six house made flavors of ice cream (and an ice cream flight!). A good plate cleanser after a morning of BBQ and alcohol!

Afterwards, the afternoon can be fairly loose depending on how full folks are. We’ve got a ton to great breweries in Kansas City and can easily organize a crawl of them. We can even do more BBQ for late lunch. Dinner is not out of the question, though will be something we can plan closer to the weekend!

Sunday —5/5

I imagine most folks will fly out mid Sunday, but for those interested, we can do brunch or even do more BBQ. Details TBD based upon how many people end up visiting.

Of note, NASCAR will be in town, so I’d recommend speculation bookings of hotels even if you aren’t 100% sure you’ll make it. Might as well save a few bucks by booking now vs. waiting until close in!

Additional details to be posted soon!
jackal, crankychick, boxo and 7 others like this.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Apr 29, 2024 at 9:04 am
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I’m in!
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Attendee List and other details.

Confirmed: (20/20 for CharBar)
  1. FriendlySkies
  2. jackal
  3. GW McLintock
  4. SEA777GUY
  5. HPN-HRL
  6. katycab+1
  7. majuki
  8. cocobird
  9. bdnyc
  10. Adam Smith
  11. ShopAround
  12. Zorak
  13. thewayofthefuture+1
  14. susiesan+1
  15. ChrisFlyer66
  16. gvdIAD
  17. bk3day
  18. CoffeeTraveler+2

Maybe:
  1. sexykitten7
  2. diburning
  3. ShopAround
  4. pinniped

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Apr 29, 2024 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I guess I'm in

But I'll be there. Already have the The Westin booked (same as last year) and flights there. Not sure if I will go home after or go to Orlando again.

After missing DFW this weekend and PSP next month looking iffy, I'm overDO for a DO

Last year KrazyKanuck, kirkwoodj +1, and I did a brewery crawl (or at least attempted to). I don't think any of us finished it, so there are additional breweries I would like to visit this year!

-J.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Confirmed
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I will be there! Flights booked; currently booked at the Hotel Kansas City.
Majuki, FriendlySkies and cocobird like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I’m a maybe for now. I’d need to be able coordinate this with an excursion to SGF, but I won’t know whether I can make that work for a while yet. If I can attend, it would only be for Friday and Saturday.
jackal, SEA777GUY, Majuki and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:45 pm

Programs: United 1K
I am booked! Mr Katycab handles hotels and I am pretty sure we are at the Westin. This time I arriving two days early, because I am flying United. Hopefully that will insure I am there by Friday
jackal, Majuki and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I'm booked and staying at the Westin.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this has been on my Want-to DO list for a few years now, but our 4/5 May SEA-LAX-LHR-MAN is gonna take priority three months from now
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm in, tentatively joining the Westin crowd.
FriendlySkies and cocobird like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I'll sign up as interested. I think the dates in the first post are off, as May 3 is a Friday. I went ahead and made a tentative booking at the Westin.

Edit: The OP has fixed the dates.
FriendlySkies and cocobird like this.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Feb 6, 2024 at 9:40 am Reason: update
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I'll sign up as interested. I think the dates in the first post are off, as May 3 is a Friday. I booked the Westin.
Indeed they are. Thanks! I figured I’d have one slip up writing the post on my iPhone while enjoying “beverages” at DFW DO
jackal and ChrisFlyer66 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Interested! I have not booked anything yet though
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
Interested! I have not booked anything yet though
+1 Requested weekend off so fingers crossed....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.